AmeriCorps Service Opportunities
Interested in Applying?
Megan Sheeran, LMSW
31735 Maplewood Street
Garden City, MI 48135
The City of Garden City - Department of Community Resources is hiring for an open AmeriCorps position!
AmeriCorps Member Position
Job Title: Financial Resources Coordinator
Employment period: 09/04/2018 – 09/04/2018
Garden City is a small community just west of Detroit that was hit hard by the recession and the collapse of the auto industry in 2008. Ten years later, the community is in the process of recovering. In order to cultivate financial stability in the community, the City of Garden City has partnered with the Michigan Financial Opportunity Corps (MFOC) to offer a full time financial resource coordinator position.
To motivate Garden City residents to begin saving and to improve their financial well-being, the MFOC member will expand upon currently existing financial education programs and will implement new, evidence based programs that directly meet the needs of Garden City residents including, Money Smart classes and Show Me the Money Days (SMTMD). The MFOC member will document their process in order for these programs to be sustained and implemented for years to come. Some specific responsibilities of the MFOC member are:
- Evaluate past Garden City financial wellness classes.
- Research other effective financial wellness programs.
- Develop new curriculum to be used in Garden City, and facilitate classes.
- Conduct educational outreach to community members and partners.
- Recruit volunteers and vendors for financial wellness events.
- Design surveys to evaluate financial wellness classes and events.
- Refer community members to local financial wellness resources.
Through this program, the VISTA member will become a vital member of the Garden City Department of Community Resources. This is an ideal opportunity for recent graduates to build their resumes, and to gain experience in local government and non-profit management.
- Must be a U.S citizen or a lawful permanent resident.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. High school diploma, or equivalent certificate, with some college courses required.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must have a vehicle and a valid driver’s license.
- Community organizing
- Youth development
- Public speaking
- Team work
- Non-profit management
- Fundraising/grant writing
- Critical thinking
Members will receive a $572.16 bi-weekly living allowance ($13,732 total) from the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Members are eligible for health insurance (member only-family members are not eligible) and childcare assistance.
Upon successful completion of the 12-month service term, members will receive a $5,920 educational award that can be used toward student loan payments or toward higher education.
Full-time members also qualify for student loan forbearance during their service and may be eligible to have the interest paid after service.
CEDAM, host agencies and the Michigan Foreclosure Task Force will provide training for AmeriCorps members on relevant background information to ensure that they are adequately prepared for service.
To apply for this position, email your resume and any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.