Tax & Assessing
2021 PROPERTY TAXES
February 28, 2022 is the last day 2021 Winter or Summer Property Taxes can be paid at city hall. Beginning March 1st, 2022 all unpaid 2021 Taxes on REAL property must be paid to Wayne County Treasurer, The International Center Building, 400 Monroe 5th Floor, Detroit, MI 48226. Please note that Property Taxes that are transferred to Wayne County will have additional interest added by Wayne County.
A deferral (delay) of the payment of SUMMER TAXES until February 14th is available on the Homestead of property owners who meet the following qualifications:
- Age 62 or older (and eligible surviving spouse) OR
- Hemiplegic, Paraplegic or Quadriplegic or Blind OR
- Totally and Permanently Disabled (Bring 1040A, Schedule 3 or 1040, Schedule R) OR
- Eligible Service person/Veteran (and surviving spouse)
- Household income (including Social Security/Pension, etc.) does not exceed $40,000.
- Your 2020 MI Homestead Property Tax Credit (Form MI-1040-CR must be filed)
- Your medicare or VA card
- Your 2021 Summer Tax Bill
PROPERTY TAX ESTIMATORBuying a house? Your new property tax rate has nothing to do with the current occupant's rate. Under Proposal A, new homeowners have their property taxes assessed at a new rate that is sometimes more than that of the current occupant. The Michigan Department of Treasury's Millage rate Database and Property Tax Estimator allows you to estimate prospective property taxes.
Visit the Property Tax Estimator.
The City has a drop box located on the north side of City Hall that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Payments may be made by check or money order, no cash. Payments may be placed in the drop box. All payments received will be picked up from the drop box the following business day. All applicable penalties will apply.